Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
vintagesnowmobile.com
10/23/14 at 8:45am

Home Classifieds Brut Info Show Pics SearchLoginRegisterHelp Gene's Salvage Red River Snowmobile Club  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Sno Pony (Read 2412 times)
sparky

Show the link to this post Sno Pony
01/31/03 at 6:25am

I love the little Sno Pony.  It has 220 cc's and it's a small sled, so man that thing can move.  Interesting, the Pony emblem looks VERY similiar to the Ford Mustang emblem.  I guess company's were more "relaxed" back then, especially when it's a small snowmobile co like this one.  Jeff

IP Logged
Mueske

Show the link to this post Re: Sno Pony
Reply #1 - 02/25/03 at 10:01pm

Jeff,

I loved our little Sno Pony (Mach III?) that we purchased in 1970.  A few days after we got it my dad tore the downspout off the house as the little JLO had a little too much torque for the small yard we had and his experiences became more comical from then on.  He ripped the single transverse leaf spring off the chassis one bitterly cold day when he failed to check the throttle return spring action when starting it.  It took off without him, headed up a small hill then sailed through the air like something from an action film and nailed an elm about a dozen feet from the ground.  Made his boss and friend feel pretty smug when they used their '69 Herters to haul him to the trailhead so it could be hauled to town for the necessary $10 welding job that lasted another ten years at least.  I don't know how many times we pulled our 36 spearing houses (rentals on Leech Lake) with the Sno Phony, the name given by our Native American friend.  Our '68 Polaris Mustang was often unable to pull the shacks due to not having adequate traction with its cleated track.  Same for our early '70s Polaris Voyager (sp?) with the 30" track and reverse.  One day I'll never forget was when we were riding on a ball field near our home and a neighbor came by with his dad, each on spanking new Arctic Cat Panthers.  They made fun of our little sled before riding on a little-used rail line.  A half-hour later we had the last laugh as the boy was followed by his father leaning to keep from falling over on his now one-ski Panther after hitting a steel fence post.

I could go on about how we almost bought several leftover 1972 340 twin Sno Ponys that we found in crates long after the firm folded, but you've probably read enough.  Take care.

Kevin

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print