Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
vintagesnowmobile.com
05/24/17 at 2:38pm

Art's Parts Home Jim Solberg's Vintage Snowmobiles Classifieds Bruts on Facebook Brut Info Show Pics SearchLoginRegisterHelp Gene's Salvage  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Pipes for a 78 tx 340 (Read 626 times)
money

Show the link to this post Pipes for a 78 tx 340
01/11/04 at 3:32pm

Anybody know where i can get a set of pipes and porting specs for a 340 tx 1978 any help would be great!

IP Logged
JFN

Show the link to this post Re: Pipes for a 78 tx 340
Reply #1 - 01/13/04 at 7:44pm

What do you want to use your sled for? Do you want full mod specs or trail specs. The same for the pipes.
The exhaust height is 27mm from the top of the cyl.
The transfers remain stock at 43mm from the top of the cyl.
The intake should be 92mm from the top of the cyl to bottom of intake. This depends on height of your piston skirt.
Width of exhaust port should be 42.5mm cord width.
Set width of intake at 45mm cord width.
With these specs the engine should be run at 9500-9750 RPM. Depending on what pipe you use.
I have pipe specs if you want to build your own. Let me know.
Hope this helps.
JFN

IP Logged
money

Reply #2 - 01/15/04 at 7:21am

Hi am looking to run this sled in vintage hillcross so i want as much power as I can. last year a centurain that was poorly tuned won everything.

IP Logged
JFN

Reply #3 - 01/15/04 at 1:26pm

The specs above will get you enough power. If you want you could raise the transfers to 42.8mm from the toop of the cyl. This will give you a little more midrange. The 78 freeair engine has a plated bore so be carefull when you port it. Make sure that your transfers are all opening at the same height. Maintain the original exhaust port shape also. I have some pipe specs if you want to make your own pipes, I always did. I don't know who makes pipes for these engines. The specs I have are for oval racing so I son't know how they would work for hillcross. You would want to run more compression for hillcross then for oval racing with more squish velocity. My e-mail is jfn@shol.com if you need more info.
Later
JFN

IP Logged
racer
50 or less

Reply #4 - 03/22/15 at 5:33pm

@ JFN

jfn i tried to email you nut didnt get through i would be inteerested in pipe specs

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print