Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
vintagesnowmobile.com
07/23/14 at 1:03pm

Home Classifieds Brut Info Show Pics SearchLoginRegisterHelp Gene's Salvage Red River Snowmobile Club  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
1969 1/2 Ski Daddler (Read 7974 times)
markxx800
50 or less

western NY
Show the link to this post 1969 1/2 Ski Daddler
12/05/08 at 8:21pm

Here a little info for all you Daddler lovers. In 1969 AMF introduced the new for 69 Model 5818 Wide Track 18. This sled featured the new Lloyd  twin cylinder motor. AMF knew it would take at least 16hp to get this new model to perform at all and Lloyd claimed 20HP. Good to go ..Right!!??  Wrong,turns out the motor only made around 14HP and that was on a good Day. Ski Daddler dealers got the sleds back with a mountain of complains from loyal customers. The factory stepped up to the plate and made a great offer to the buyer of these toilets. They had dealers pull the Lloyd motors and return them to AMF. In return the customer got a new 1969 1/2 Mark 21,23 or 26. The Mark 21(very Rare) had the JLO 372 single and the Mark 23 or 26 got the Kohler 399 twin with electric start. AND the customer or Dealer got to keep the original Wide Track 18 chassis at no cost. Many dealer just dropped in a good motor and resold the sled for a nice profit. AMF was involved in a law suit over these sleds that cost them Millions. I've been told by insiders that this sled is what finally drove AMF out of Business with the Ski Daddler line of sleds. Of course they continued till 1975 with the new Harley Davidson line of snowmobiles.
The 1969 1/2 Mark 21,23 or 26 feature a hood that is identical to the silver 69 Ski Daddlers,but is painted orange. This was their way of bringing in the new (and Beautiful) 1970 sleds that were orange and Black.
I have a Mark 26. The sled is very nice and is one of the best riding Boggie wheel sleds I've ever driven.
So if you see an old Greyline Ski Daddler with an orange hood,don't just dismiss it as some Rattle can paint job done by some unloving sledder. It's a rare piece of history
I was up in  Vermont 2 years ago to buy some NOS Daddler parts that came from the Factory at closing. There were hundreds of those old Lloyd motors on the shelf . Unfortunately those motors and all the NOS parts went to the scrap yard shortly after my visit.
More interesting Ski Daddler Stories to come.

Mark
OK little ones, time to turn off the light and go to Sleep

View Profile   IP Logged
skiwizzer
500 or more posts

Stop by and race
sometime

Shafer, MN
Show the link to this post Re: 1969 1/2 Ski Daddler
Reply #1 - 12/05/08 at 11:47pm

Got one of those tanks with no engine. an AMF dealer friend of my dad installed Hirth 210 or 211 twins in the chassis and resold them. He started selling cats after that mess. But I have the chassis and a Hirth 211 and one of these days I will get it running. Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

Proud member of the CCVSC
View Profile   IP Logged
Trucker
100 or more posts

Albany MN
Reply #2 - 12/06/08 at 5:04am

Thanks for the interesting story of those sleds

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
oldsledz
50 or less

Mid Michigan
Reply #3 - 12/06/08 at 10:08am

If anyone wants one I know of one that is/was for sale with a 399 Kohler  if I remember right the engine is tight.  the sled is in Mid Michigan.

View Profile   IP Logged
relic-rider
100 or more posts

Minneapolis, MN and Hurley, WI
Reply #4 - 12/06/08 at 1:35pm

I've got one of those converted 69 Graylines.  It has a 372 JLO in it.  I'll tell you that that engine doesn't seem like any improvement, though as the sled will hardly go 25-30 MPH.   If you look at the hood cutout for the engine it looks like it was made to have the 372 in it.  But I can see on the engine mounting straps where something else was bolted on.

69_SkiDaddler4.jpg

Dan Tomlanovich
Brooklyn Center, MN 55430/ Hurley, WI 54534
763-561-3194 715-561-5401
dst70gto@ix.netcom.com
View Profile   IP Logged
markxx800
50 or less

western NY
Reply #5 - 12/06/08 at 4:57pm

Dan, I believe your sled is one of the left over chassis that a dealer put a 372 in. They also pulled the original Green stripes and put the Blue stripe(Correct color for a 372 ) on it. Can you give us the info off the vin tag? Remember all the 69 1/2's were orange

Mark

View Profile   IP Logged
PolCat
50 or less

Let it Snow, Let it
Snow

De Pere, WI
Reply #6 - 12/06/08 at 5:07pm

I new about the 69 1/2 models but not about the Loyd motors being dogs.  I just saw one today at the Crivitz Show for sale, $100.  It had a JLO 440 in it minus the engine shroud, free air Cheesy  The orange paint was all peeling off and the gray was underneath.  It did have the gas tank on the back of the seat.  Came that  Undecided close to buying it, but I have 3 gray liners already.
Someone also had a Ski Daddler sleigh for sale $500 but it had been painted red not orange.

"No Iron Like Old Iron"
View Profile   IP Logged
Earl
Forum Administrator

DRIVER: Roger Ebert

grand forks
Reply #7 - 05/11/10 at 12:41pm

Off-Topic replies have been moved to this Topic.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print