Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
vintagesnowmobile.com
07/25/14 at 4:02am

Home Classifieds Brut Info Show Pics SearchLoginRegisterHelp Gene's Salvage Red River Snowmobile Club  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
'72 Ski Doo TNT 440 (Read 5434 times)
Johnny Cliche
50 or more posts

When the snow flies,
so will I...

Osakis,MN
Show the link to this post '72 Ski Doo TNT 440
10/06/09 at 10:47pm

Tomorrow morning I'll be the proud owner of a 1972 Ski Doo TNT 440, it's being dropped off by a guy from Bemidji, I traded an old 110v portable stick welder for it...I haven't used the stick welder in years and just found it out in the garage yesterday, asked a guy on Craigslist if he wanted to trade and voila...I'll post pics tomorrow as soon as it's safely parked at my place...it's a bit rough and is missing a seat, but I can find one somewhere I'm sure...I've also got a line on another Ski Doo possibly, and possibly a Kawasaki as well, both are free...wish me luck!...

'86 Yamaha Excel III "daily beater"
'72 Ski Doo TNT 440 grass drags project

'73 Chaparral Firebird grass drags project
View Profile johnny_cliche@yahoo.com   IP Logged
Johnny Cliche
50 or more posts

When the snow flies,
so will I...

Osakis,MN
Show the link to this post Re: '72 Ski Doo TNT 440
Reply #1 - 10/07/09 at 12:36pm

Well, she's home...and a lot more incomplete than I was expecting...I've got a laundry list of parts to find for this thing, but the motor runs and has great compression...it's actually a 340 TNT chassis that they swapped a 440 Rotax into, it's got the Tilly HD 10A carb on it, and the fuel pump looks new...I'll list some parts that I'm looking for in a bit, but first, here's some pics...

IMG00614.jpg

Johnny Cliche
50 or more posts

When the snow flies,
so will I...

Osakis,MN
Reply #2 - 10/07/09 at 12:40pm

Here's the engine bay, the swap was done well and everything, but it's got the typical missing pieces of an abandoned project...

IMG00616.jpg

Johnny Cliche
50 or more posts

When the snow flies,
so will I...

Osakis,MN
Reply #3 - 10/07/09 at 12:48pm

Here's the PTO side, it's got a Comet Duster clutch on it, so that's a plus...I'm missing the disc brake caliper, lower hood hinge, ignition switch, headlight and tach wiring, tail light assembly and wiring, plastic fan cover, and speedo cable...I was planning on restoring this baby, until I found out it's a mismatched chassis and motor and was missing so much stuff missing and the hood's cracked in a few places...so it will now become my grass drags project for next season...I'll strip it down, repaint it, throw some gaskets in the motor and keep it simple as far as rebuilding goes...what do you guys think?

IMG00617.jpg

Johnny Cliche
50 or more posts

When the snow flies,
so will I...

Osakis,MN
Reply #4 - 10/07/09 at 4:53pm

Spent some quality time with this baby today, yanked the gas tank and cleaned it out, replaced the fuel line, cleaned the carb a bit (needs a rebuild kit), put a new handle on the recoil cord, put a new gas cap on it, threw some fresh premix gas in the tank and got her started...I gotta fiddle with the carb some more, but she runs well except at idle it spits gas out the carb a bit...clutch engagement works well, and all in all I'm pretty pleased with it...Dad and I are planning on each of us having our own drag sleds so we can both get into it at the same time together, I think I'm keeping the TNT and he'll get the Chaparral Firebird...

Johnny Cliche
50 or more posts

When the snow flies,
so will I...

Osakis,MN
Reply #5 - 10/07/09 at 10:34pm

Alright, so I got some technical info off of the I'd tags, it's a '72 TNT 340 chassis built in Nov '71 with ID# 240206802...here's where I'm stumped, the engine is a 435cc Rotax with ID# 2487316, and I haven't a clue what year it is from, or if it's even a TNT 440 motor...it does have an HD carb, but the model number HD-10A on the Tillotson carb is giving me fits, I've searched and searched and found NOTHING online that this model of carb even exists, it's not listed on any of the carb listings for Ski Doo engines...so what I need to know is, what year is the motor, is it a TNT 440, and what model carb is supposed to be on this motor? I'm goin nuts over here trying to figure this out on my own guys, a little help would really brighten my day...thank you...

King Kat 4
100 or more posts

-40 Below & Only
500 Miles to Go

Reply #6 - 10/08/09 at 9:49am

HD 10-A was used by Cat and Scorpion. I can't find a listing for the 440 TNT but if the 10-a works,run it.

Darvin Jahnke
21484 400th Ave
Detroit Lakes, MN 56501
View Profile   IP Logged
Johnny Cliche
50 or more posts

When the snow flies,
so will I...

Osakis,MN
Reply #7 - 10/08/09 at 10:15am

The thing is, it's not running perfect right now, even way below most recommended factory settings...it sprays and sputters gas out the carb at idle, but once it gets some RPM's up, she runs great...I'm thinking of either picking up another HD at the local snowmobile boneyard, or swapping to a Keihin or Mikuni...

Johnny Cliche
50 or more posts

When the snow flies,
so will I...

Osakis,MN
Reply #8 - 10/08/09 at 10:19am

I almost forgot, thank you Darv! It's nice to know that I'm not going nuts and that that particular carb isn't stock on that motor...but it still leaves me wondering what year motor it is, and whether or not it's a true TNT 440 or something else...

King Kat 4
100 or more posts

-40 Below & Only
500 Miles to Go

Reply #9 - 10/08/09 at 7:55pm

Clean that carb and put a kit in it and see how it works. Chances are a salvage yard carb won't be any better than the one you have and will cost more than a kit. I like to do things for cheap.

Darvin Jahnke
21484 400th Ave
Detroit Lakes, MN 56501
View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print