Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
vintagesnowmobile.com
04/24/14 at 12:48am

Home Classifieds Brut Info Show Pics SearchLoginRegisterHelp Gene's Salvage Red River Snowmobile Club  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
New member - 1980 Yamaha Exciter 440 (Read 627 times)
ryan
50 or less

Show the link to this post New member - 1980 Yamaha Exciter 440
01/11/10 at 9:49am

Hey everyone, I am in the process of restoring a old 1980 Yamaha Exciter 440. This was one my first snowmobiles, this same exact one. I pulled it out of the machine shed (after sitting for about 10 years). Began with the obvious, new plugs, drained fuel and oil, cleaned the carb really good, rebuilt the fuel pump. It starts! Cheesy

Now onto the problem... while the machine idles great, as soon as I give it any throttle at all it dies... however, with the choke on it will get up to about 3/4 throttle then die out. Also to get it up to speed with choke on you cant just punch it or it will die you have to slowly work your way up. After it dies i open the bottom of the carb it has fuel in it (so its not starved).  I'm not sure what to look at next, I tried messing with the mixture screw to get better results. It seems it got better as I backed the screw almost all the way out but still wasnt able to hit more then 1/4 throttle. Can someone give me a starting point on setting this mixture properly (ie, all the way in then 2.5 turns out)?

It has a Keihin carb with a external fuel pump. Also as this machine is oil injection, how can I be sure that the oil pump is in fact working? I noticed a air bubble in the line to the "pump" that doesnt seem to move at all when the machine is running.

I was going to post some pictures but I am sure everyone has seen one of these before...

Thanks in advance!!

View Profile   IP Logged
restomajic
Forum Moderator

Vintage Rules!
Modern sleds DROOL
!!

Central NY
Show the link to this post Re: New member - 1980 Yamaha Exciter 440
Reply #1 - 01/11/10 at 12:58pm

First thing I would do is drain the gas again and pre-mix your fuel until you figure out if the oil injection works.

Restomajic
Visit my Ski Whiz site at: http://vintagesleds.com/skiwhizrescue/
skiwhizrescue1@yahoo.com
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
ryan
50 or less

Show the link to this post Re: New member - 1980 Yamaha Exciter 440
Reply #2 - 01/11/10 at 1:24pm

Thought about doing this. I am pretty sure the oil injection is working because when I remove the spark plugs after it dies I can see the plugs have a 'bit' of oil on them.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print