Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
vintagesnowmobile.com
02/21/17 at 3:01pm

Art's Parts Home Jim Solberg's Vintage Snowmobiles Classifieds Bruts on Facebook Brut Info Show Pics SearchLoginRegisterHelp Gene's Salvage  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Fiberglass Hygiene (Read 139 times)
iceman
100 or more posts

Kohler Power!

Show the link to this post Fiberglass Hygiene
02/08/11 at 10:10am

I used to work with a lot of 'glass & learned a few tips along the way.

Invest in a box of cheap latex gloves. Keeps your hands free of resin and I also use them when grinding. Wear a long sleeve shirt that goes over the cuff of the glove. Run a few rounds of masking tape around the cuff & it seals out most of the 'glass dust when you are grinding. Keeps it from getting in the sleeve & rubbing back & forth.

'Glass dust doesn't bother my skin too bad but some people are really sensitive to it. Get a couple of those cheap, throw away paint suits from the auto parts store. Put them on with the gloves & tape em up. Keeps 90% of the dust off you. It helps keep the dust from getting in your laundry & getting on other family members clothes too.

Wear at minimum a dust mask or paint respirator. That dust is something you don't want in your lungs

Safety glasses go without saying.

When it comes time to hit the shower, let the water do most of the work. Let it run for a few minutes to rinse the majority off without scrubbing. Keeps the 'glass from getting imbedded in the washcloth. And when you do scrub, only do it in one direction, down. Don't scrub back & forth. It can rub it in & irritate the skin.

Use lotion to keep you hands moisturized. Anytime you're around paint & chemicals, it has a tendancy to dry out your hands. The ideal situation is to keep exposure to a minimum but we all know it happens. Paint, resin, & filler like to stick to dry hands. If you keep them in good shape, clean-up is much easier.

Working with 'glass isn't exactly fun but this can make it a little more tolerable.

Ike Jahnke
21492 400th Ave
Detroit Lakes, MN 56501

218-841-8748

Long live the single!

It's Not What You Buy, It's What You Build
View Profile   IP Logged
Rotax 340
50 or less

Show the link to this post Re: Fiberglass Hygiene
Reply #1 - 03/24/15 at 4:39pm

I found that cold showers work better than warm to reduce fibreglass irritation. Warm water opens up the pores in your skin, allowing the glass particles to enter more easily.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print