Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
vintagesnowmobile.com
09/23/17 at 11:22am

Art's Parts Home Jim Solberg's Vintage Snowmobiles Classifieds Bruts on Facebook Brut Info Show Pics SearchLoginRegisterHelp Gene's Salvage  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
80 Whip ?'s (Read 2915 times)
JeepGuy
50 or less

Show the link to this post 80 Whip ?'s
10/14/12 at 1:45pm

just picked up a '80 whip anything i should look for before i try to run it? it started on some gas in the carb (fuel line broken off tank) i noticed the track suspension doesnt work at all, where do i start with that? thua looks in good shape for the year, no idea on mileage as it has no gauges. Also how hard is it to put electric start on this?

View Profile   IP Logged
Earl
Forum Administrator

DRIVER: Roger Ebert

grand forks
Show the link to this post Re: 80 Whip ?'s
Reply #1 - 10/14/12 at 2:14pm

For starters, I would do is clean up the entire fuel system. Clean out the tank, new fuel lines, filter. Clean the carbs up and install new gaskets. Make sure there's a good spark at the plugs. Spray a little wd-40 or similar product in each cylinder to free up the rings.

Summer Ride: 69 Roadrunner 440 6BBl, 727 Auto, 3:55, Sublime Green.
View Profile   IP Logged
JeepGuy
50 or less

Reply #2 - 10/14/12 at 4:38pm

well i did pretty much what you suggested since i posted execpt the carb flange. im gonna try to find one now. but she fired right up. ill post a pic when i get home. thanks

View Profile   IP Logged
restomajic
Forum Moderator

Vintage Rules!
Modern sleds DROOL
!!

Central NY
Reply #3 - 10/15/12 at 4:46am

Does it still have the original carb and air box? They are a matched set and running the engine without an airbox leans out the engine. Check the rubber ring hidden inside the carb mounting flange. An air leak there can be a big problem unless you have a pile of new pistons around.

Electric start is possible but rounding up the correct parts is getting harder. It also requires removing the PTO seal and replacing it with the electric start version. Wiring needs changes also.

Restomajic
Visit my Ski Whiz site at: http://vintagesleds.com/skiwhizrescue/
skiwhizrescue1@yahoo.com
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
JeepGuy
50 or less

Reply #4 - 10/15/12 at 8:24am

it does have the airbox and the thing with the holes that goes in the top of it. there is a rubber ring on the carb but i think it needs replaced because i can spin the carb a bit when everything is together, im having a hard time finding a replacement, can i just put some rtv on everything and make sure its tight?? also the headlight doesnt work, the bulb looks good (no broken filaments) and it looks brand new, any guess on where to start looking to find whats wrong??

i thought the elctric start would be easier since i saw it had a flywheel with teeth on it and the key has a "start" position, oh well looks like pulling for me this winter

View Profile   IP Logged
JeepGuy
50 or less

Reply #5 - 10/15/12 at 10:58am

i was borwsing around ebay and saw a lighting coil, think this is what could be bad on mine? anyway to test it ?
and heres a pic of it.

View Profile   IP Logged
restomajic
Forum Moderator

Vintage Rules!
Modern sleds DROOL
!!

Central NY
Reply #6 - 10/16/12 at 5:06am

If it has the clutch side ring gear, I would guess the sled is already set up and wired for electric start, so the tough part is done.

I have worked on many a Scorpion sled where the carb mounting ring was gooped up with silicone. While it may work for awhile, the silicone will deteriorate eventually. If you try it, I would only put silicone on the round sides of the ring and add a thick homemade paper flange gasket. You also should make sure that the ring is installed correctly in the first place. If you look carefully you will see that the tabs need to line up with the grooves, and if they don't, the ring is probably turned around the wrong way.

Restomajic
Visit my Ski Whiz site at: http://vintagesleds.com/skiwhizrescue/
skiwhizrescue1@yahoo.com
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
JeepGuy
50 or less

Reply #7 - 10/16/12 at 6:34am

ill check that today thanks

View Profile   IP Logged
JeepGuy
50 or less

Reply #8 - 10/17/12 at 5:13pm

you guys know if theres a way to test that lighting coil to see if thats why my lights dont work?

View Profile   IP Logged
JeepGuy
50 or less

Reply #9 - 11/04/12 at 6:47am

got the lights working, im not sure what i did to fix it since i did a few things then tried it. was tracing the wires and unplugged all the plugs and made sure they were tight also pulled the key switch to test and it was full of water, put everything back together and it worked. AND now it looks like we might get snow this week!!!!

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print