Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
vintagesnowmobile.com
09/23/17 at 11:27am

Art's Parts Home Jim Solberg's Vintage Snowmobiles Classifieds Bruts on Facebook Brut Info Show Pics SearchLoginRegisterHelp Gene's Salvage  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
80 Whip ?'s (Read 2916 times)
scorp11
50 or less

Show the link to this post Re: 80 Whip ?'s
Reply #10 - 11/30/12 at 9:26pm

Unless you have already done it, I would strongly recommend leak checking the motor before you run it much.  The Cuyuna's are highly sensitive to air leaks and will put a hole in the PTO side piston to remind you should you forget.

I always recommend everyone re-seal and re-time these motors before running them.  Also these motors like octane.  Non-Ethanol premium is the minimum, we run 100 LL av gas mixed 50/50 with non ethanol premium and that works well.

View Profile   IP Logged
JeepGuy
50 or less

Reply #11 - 12/01/12 at 9:17am

if you saw my other post im having a problem with it running without putting the choke on and off. think i may have a bad crank seal? and if so how horrible of a job is it to change them? We dont have non-ethanol gas around here but i do have access to av-gas and whatever octane late model dirt track cars run.

View Profile   IP Logged
scorp11
50 or less

Reply #12 - 12/02/12 at 12:40am

Just saw that post and what the other poster said was pretty much spot on.  The first thing I would do is clean the carb.  Most likely a pilot jet or maybe main jet plugged.  You definitely want to fix that.

If it is a stock whip, it should have a Walbro WF carb on it.  I'd pull the bowl and make sure everything is clean in there.  These have the fuel pump stack on the top of the carb.  Normally I'd recommend taking that apart and cleaning it to, but there are a lot of little parts in there and it isn't for the faint of heart.  Clean the jets in the bottom first and see if it runs.

It is possible it is a seal, as that would lean it out too, but normally they will still idle ok unless the seal is really blown out.  Only accurate way to test the seal is to pressure test the thing.  

http://www.ultralightnews.com/cuyuna/index.htm  Starting with section 28, will show you how to build a simple tester.

Clean the jets in the carb and see if it will stay running.  If it does, what the other poster said are all things to make sure are good.

Intake insulators and the rubber insulator that holds the carb to the intake are two important ones.  If you need more help, just let me know and I'll do what I can to get you pointed in the right direction.

if the Av gas you can get is 100 LL I recommend that .  You won't need the octane the late models run as the probably run something around 110 and that is overkill.  If you have to use something with ethanol, Use premium and mix in some Seafoam at 1 oz per gallon.  

The biggest issue with ethanol is it traps moisture in time.  The Seafoam will help with that as well as help preserver the gas.

View Profile   IP Logged
JeepGuy
50 or less

Reply #13 - 12/06/12 at 6:37am

thanks for the help. Can i use the ethanol treatment that i use in my boat motor? i plan on ripping the carb apart this week, ill post up what i find

View Profile   IP Logged
scorp11
50 or less

Reply #14 - 12/16/12 at 11:07pm

JeepGuy wrote on 12/06/12 at 6:37am:
thanks for the help. Can i use the ethanol treatment that i use in my boat motor? i plan on ripping the carb apart this week, ill post up what i find

I guess I don't know what ethanol treatment you are using and what it is does.  The only additive I use is Seafoam.  Some others may be able to give you better advice on what to run with ethanol.

View Profile   IP Logged
Daniel J.
50 or less

Melville, Saskatchewan, Canada
Reply #15 - 12/25/12 at 2:20am

Could you post a picture of the rubber ring on the carb you are talking about? I have an identical whip that I put a yamaha motor in & don't need the original scorpion carb parts, so I would sell you the ring your looking for if I have it.

View Profile   IP Logged
JeepGuy
50 or less

Reply #16 - 10/17/13 at 6:16am

Figure id update this as winter is rolling around again (not that i need snow to ride my whip) anyway theres no update i never pulled the carb apart again, we had a weak winter (i only out 150miles on my modern sled) but we broke out the relics last night so hopefully i get to my carb issue. ive been thinking about just ditching this csrb setup and getting a mikuni and external fuel pump, anyone do this?

View Profile   IP Logged
scorp11
50 or less

Reply #17 - 10/17/13 at 10:16pm

for an 80 Whip, I'd use a 34mm Mic.  You nee the carb, fuel pump,  carb boot, a throttle cable, a choke cable, and I think you will need a different throttle block.  The throttle block of a 79 Sting or a 79-81 TK would work.   The carb adapter bolts on the walbro style carbs have bolts that are bigger than the carb boots for the Mikuni carbs.   You would need an intake off a 79-81 Sting or TK or you'll have to ream out the holes on the carb boot a little bit.

Below is one I used a Mikuni on.  

View Profile   IP Logged
JeepGuy
50 or less

Reply #18 - 10/19/13 at 8:55am

Im going to try clean the the carb again, this time ill poke something through the hole to make sure there clean.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print