Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
vintagesnowmobile.com
10/21/17 at 7:06am

Art's Parts Home Jim Solberg's Vintage Snowmobiles Classifieds Bruts on Facebook Brut Info Show Pics SearchLoginRegisterHelp Gene's Salvage  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
New members barnfind (Read 442 times)
Supersport
50 or less

Show the link to this post New members barnfind
06/16/17 at 5:59pm

Hi all,
New to the group but thought I would share my barn find. My friends dad last rode this Ski Whiz in the late 90's. He was in his 80's and broke two ribs when he hit the ditch to hard. Sled has been parked since. My plan is to get it rideable for next season then do a total restore at a later date. Any tips on what needs to be done to bring her back to life?
Thanks

20170510_182431.jpg
View Profile   IP Logged
restomajic
Forum Moderator

Vintage Rules!
Modern sleds DROOL
!!

Central NY
Show the link to this post Re: New members barnfind
Reply #1 - 06/17/17 at 3:07am

The chassis and running gear are pretty rugged and easily cleaned and painted. Take extra care to prevent breaking anything and you shouldn't have too much trouble. Parts availability is pretty good because MF made a ton of those sleds and many have been reduced to parts. The JLO engines are also very common and parts are usually available among sled enthusiasts at swap meets and the like.

First thing is to see if the fuel tank is plastic. The early sleds had steel tanks and quickly became a nightmare of carburetor clogging rust. MF recalled them, replacing many, but there are still some steel tanked sleds out there. Also a problem but much less common was the plastic tank splitting from age and shrinkage. a quick look under the red tank cover would reveal the cracks if it has occurred.

The other thing is that the early sleds had hoods that had completely solid hood sides which trapped heat under the hood and often caused engine overheating. MF eventually added some large round vents to both sides of the hood to ease the problem but the retaining rings that held them in become rock hard which makes retrofitting the vents almost impossible. The headlight rings do the same thing but the 4" retaining rings from the back of a semi trailer will work just fine.

This isn't mine, just a photo from our MF photo thread to illustrate what I'm talking about.

Restomajic
Visit my Ski Whiz site at: http://vintagesleds.com/skiwhizrescue/
skiwhizrescue1@yahoo.com
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Supersport
50 or less

Reply #2 - 06/19/17 at 8:45am

Thanks for the tips. Pulled it out and gave it a good cleaning. Didn't come out to bad. Will start applying penetrating oil to fasteners to get them loosened up. Will check the gas tank. There is a spare plastic tank in the pile of parts that I got as well.
Is the over heating issue something to be concerned about? There are no vents on the hood.
Thanks
Supersport

20170617_192324.jpg
View Profile   IP Logged
whizkid
100 or more posts

"The Easy
Rider"

Toronto Canada
Reply #3 - 06/21/17 at 1:56pm

Looks great with it all cleaned up!!

Whiz Kid

1971 Ski Whiz Formula 1
1972 Ski Whiz 500SST
1996 Ski Doo Touring ELT
View Profile   IP Logged
Supersport
50 or less

Reply #4 - 06/27/17 at 7:05pm

Thanks.
Kinda lookin forward to winter ...but lets enjoy summer first.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print